17 October 2013

Aston Hall, Oswestry


Aston Hall was built by Robert Mylne, between 1789 and 1793, and may have been designed by James Wyatt, the architect of Fonthill Abbey. It is in Greek Revival style, and of sandstone ashlar. The Ionic pilasters appear to bow outwards.

































The house originally had a cupola and octagonal lantern. Built as a country pile, Aston has been a hospital and a school, is now once more a private residence, set in a beautiful landscaped park that boasts a considerable lake. Even the dog kennels are wonderfully grand.


3 comments:

Sue Boyle said...

My Mum was a nurse here in the 1940’s, going back to Staffordshire to give birth to me in 1950. She died aged only 41 and I always feel it was her who drew me to Shropshire from Cheshire in 2003. I have a photograph of those gates taken by my Mum in the 40’s.

Anonymous said...

I was a patient at Aston Hall in 1951 and 1952. I wish I could find someone else who was there then to compare notes.

YMGW said...

Thank-you for your comments. I wish you both luck in locating others who remember Aston Hall as an hospital.